Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Who's that knocking on the door?

So the other night I was leaving the first floor of the building that we’re staying in. The first floor is the UBI (Ukrainian Bible Institute), which is where we hold our reading sessions and have service on Sunday mornings! It was laround11 at night here, and I was heading up to the second floor of the building, which is where we are staying too! I had to unlock and the lock back the door to the first floor, and it took me like 15 minutes to complete this simple task. While doing this, a man tried to help me with the door, and I told him that I did not understand Russian. He kept unlocking the door, and I was trying to tell him that I needed to lock the door. It was embarrassing because I didn’t know how to communicate, and I couldn’t get the door locked. Needless to say, I was pretty frustrated after trying to complete this simple task of locking a door. I thought I was in the clear because the second floor door is normally not locked because it is just a bunch of rooms with their own doors and locks. I get to the second floor, and what do you know….the door is locked! Sometimes God’s sense of humor is really funny! So I put all my stuff down, and get the key out to open the door and get to my room. Again, this should be fairly easy to unlock the door. Oh no, it takes me another 15 minutes to get the door open. The man who tried to help me on the first floor was still in the stairwell, just talking up a storm in Russian to his friends (probably making fun of me and wondering why this poor little girl can’t open doors)! I was so frustrated at this point that I was ready to rip the door off the hinges, and it sounded just like that’s what I was doing! I had no way of telling anyone I was in the stairwell without waking everyone on the floor up, and I didn’t wanna do that! I prayed to God that He would send some help to get into my room! I was already beginning to think that I would have to sleep in the stairwell at this point…I was desperate! I kept praying and asking God for help, and a few minutes later here comes my answer! One of the guys that lives on the second floor, who works with internet and construction at the UBI, started to open the door on the other side! I had no clue who was helping me until I opened the door, and I was so relieved that he was there! I was so thankful to God that He sent me someone to help, and even though he couldn’t speak great English, he understood that I was very appreciative! I couldn’t sleep for a while because it was a pretty stressful situation for me because I wanted to be in control and open the door on my own by my own power and strength! It wasn’t until I asked God for help and admitted I couldn’t do it on my own that He sent help! (I told the Bagdon, the guy who helped, the next day how thankful I was that God sent him to help, and I also found out that he was asleep when this happened-funny!) This is true in our lives as well; we need only ask, seek, or knock! God is waiting to help us if we will let him and want him to do it! We don’t need to let pride, selfishness, or confidence in ourselves get in the way! Just give it to God and ask for his help! Matthew 7:7-8

1 comment:

  1. oh wow that is funny! That is such a great example of that verse!

    ReplyDelete