Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Firm Foundation

One of the stories in the workbook we use with our readers is from Luke 6 where Jesus talks about the foundation we build our lives on. Jesus says:

"Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When the flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." – Luke 6:46-49

We’ve all heard this story many times throughout our lives but the message it gives is so important yet difficult to live out. Our foundation in life controls everything we think, say, and do. It determines our outlook on life and the way we treat other people. Sometimes we can hide behind a false foundation for much of our lives. As Christians we all say our foundation is in Jesus but do we always live like it is? When the “floods” of life come, however, we are forced to reveal our real foundation. We can no longer hide behind a facade and our real foundations are exposed. We discover we are like the man who built his house on the sand. Our house will be destroyed if our foundation is not in Jesus.

Being on a mission trip like this makes me ask where my foundation is. I have never been outside of the United States before so being in another culture for going on 5 weeks has been quite an adventure for me. I can no longer hide behind the comfort and security of life in America. The foundations I’ve always depended on aren’t there and I have to look for something or someone greater.

We’ve all had our share of stress and culture shock as we adapt to life in another culture. We’ve gone through disappointment when we don’t have as many readers as we’d like or when the readers we have cancel their appointments or drop out altogether. These things deepen the need for a firm foundation, one that isn’t shaken by the floods that come. I know my foundation should be in Jesus but the temptation arises to seek other foundations as well. I know I need Jesus but maybe He can’t handle it all. Maybe I need a backup plan. But God is teaching me during this trip that He is enough for me. I don’t need a foundation apart from Jesus. He can withstand the worst floods and the darkest nights. What other foundation can make the promise to never fail, to stand firm no matter what comes? No other foundation but Jesus Christ can do this.

We also read the story from Luke 11 with our readers where Jesus talks about persistence in prayer. Jesus says:

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” - Luke 11:9-10

This passage is so encouraging to me because it assures me of just how firm a foundation in Jesus is. If we keep running to God, faithfully seeking to know Him, we will never be disappointed. Every other foundation will eventually crumble but not one founded in Jesus. As we surrender more and more of our lives to Jesus, we find the security of a firm foundation our hearts are longing for. This is the hope that we have and the hope we can offer to our readers. After reading with people for several weeks, it’s interesting to see where different people are on their spiritual walk; to see where their foundation is. I’ll share the stories of just a couple readers.

First is a guy named Slavik who has been one of my most faithful readers (he’s never missed a day of lessons!). He is a Christian, grew up in a Christian family, and his father is a preacher. As we talked I found that his knowledge of the Bible is excellent. He knows all the theologically correct answers and often gives me insights that I had not thought about before. Then we got to the lesson on foundations and he said that he wasn’t really sure where his foundation was. He knows it should be in Jesus but the older he gets the more doubts arise in his mind. We talked about the struggle to keep focused on God when so many things compete for our attention and devotion. But also, the assurance we have that we will find God if we keep seeking Him. God can use our doubts and struggles to purify our faith in Him; to strengthen our weak foundation. I believe Slavik is on the same journey I’m on (I guess that we’re all on as Christians…) to having a strong foundation in Jesus.

Second is a man named George who is perhaps our most passionate reader. He has a strong desire to learn English and have an American accent (we’ve tried to tell him this is not possible :) ). He would come to lessons for eight hours a day if he could. His goal is to get all the way through the workbook faster than anyone else! His interest began with a desire to learn English. He wasn’t interested in talking about spiritual things but would talk your ear off about anything else! Slowly, we’ve began to see some change in George (he’s read with all of us). He is Ukrainian Orthodox but does not have any level of commitment as a Christian. He’s very intelligent and is a professor in Electrical Engineering (like me!). As he reads God’s Word, I think he’s confronted with the inconsistency he sees in his life. He’s very hesitant to admit it but the seeds are being planted with each lesson we have. He recently told me that He prays to God in some of the very difficult parts of his life. He says he doesn’t like it when these times come because things are out of his control. He doesn’t know how to respond to God’s invitation of salvation because he understands the level of commitment required. He just isn’t willing yet to give that commitment. It hurts me to see people like George because they’re running from the one thing that can give their soul rest and comfort. They’re desperately trying every foundation the world has to offer but resisting the only one that really matters. Unfortunately, we can’t make the decision for George. It’s between him and Jesus. We just pray that God would work in his heart and bring His lost sheep home. Please continue to pray for our readers. Pray that they find Jesus as the firm foundation their hearts are seeking after.

No comments:

Post a Comment